Upcoming Dates and Activities

  • Thursday, March 13, DES Conferences 3:45 - 7:15, Thursday, March 20 DES Conferences 3:45-7:15 Friday, March 21 Teacher Workshop NO SCHOOL Spring Break March 24-28

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Puppets!

A few days ago, I decided to get the puppets out.  This is always a BIG decision.  Some years the puppets never come out!  But this year I was excited to give it a try.  I let the students play freely with the puppets for a few days.  Then I 'let it slip' that I had a puppet theater.  OH MY!!!!

Everyone was excited to try the puppet theater!  I told them that if we were going to bring it out, they needed to have a 'plan' for what they were going to perform.  Either they needed a story or a picture or a script to go by.  They ran and got out their writing folder and got to work!

Did I mention this was during their morning play time when they can do anything in the room?  And your children were choosing to write!

When the first 'script' was presented, I rolled in the theater.  We discussed a few expectations - mostly that only three could be behind the theater at a time, and how to take turns.
This was still play time for them!  This is what they did almost completely on their own:




Some students sang songs, others told a story.  There was even some poetry recited!  

It was amazing to me to watch them organize themselves and watch each other perform so respectfully.  I was just observing from the far end of the room!  This is remarkable!  I was so proud of all of them and knew you would be, too!

There will be more shows coming.  More 'scripts' are in the works!  

No comments:

Post a Comment